Away from mass tourism
The Natural park The Sierra de Tejeda, Alhama & Almijara, (40,660 ha) in Andalusia is a fantastic walking area that is slowly being discovered by more people. Here you are in the Axarquia region, away from mass tourism and surrounded by nature! The varied and rugged area, is interspersed with beautiful hiking trails.
To the summit or along the river?
The summits of the impressive mountains Maroma (2065m) and Lucero (1776m) are both reachable in a (long) day’s walk. But also several shorter and lighter walks are possible. Fast flowing mountain streams, irrigation channels and fields from Moorish times are interspersed with rugged cliffs, with towering peaks rising high into the blue sky, and with authentic whitewashed mountain villages. On the sunlit terraces around the villages you will find olive trees, orange and almond trees.
You can walk for days in the sierras de Tejeda and Almijara. Here you will find a few examples of walking routes which have been checked by us and for which the descriptions are available:
- Circular walk from Cómpeta. Walk from Cómpeta through the natural park to the white village of Canillas de Albaida and back to Cómpeta. (2.5 hours)
- Roundtrip from Fabrica de Luz through a rugged and quiet area. (5 hours)
- Walk along the Rio Cajula, along trails of flowering oleanders and fragrant herbs. (2 hours)
- From the quiet village of Salares to Cómpeta (4 hours)
- Circular walk high above Sedella (3.5 hours)
- Hike to the summit of Maroma (7 hours)
- From Nerja to Frigilana through the bed of the Rio Higuero (5 hours)
and many more …
These walks start at a 15-30 minute drive from B & B La Madrugada.